Here are some of my favorite stay slim tips. Enjoy!
- Don't drink your calories while you eat your calories. One cup of OJ has 121 calories. One can of Coke has 143 calories. A drink with a meal adds calories that you never even think to count. And don't forget about refills. Drink water or unsweetened tea with meals instead. Leave the caloried, flavored drinks for snacks.
- Rely on measurments for progress not the weight scale. Water weight can shift dramatically from day to day, especially for women. Weight may lie but measurments tell the truth. There are many charts and formulas to keep track of all the numbers. My favorite can be found here. It also comes in men's and metric varities.
- Park far from the door (when it's safe) and walk the long way. All the little movements throughout the day burn calories. Give yourself a jumpstart on calorie burning taking more steps througout the day.
- Eat 4 or more smaller meals from a dessert plate. Eating on a big dinner plate make it feel as if you will not be satisfied unless you cover the entire surface with food. Who wants to see white space on a plate? Eating smaller meals more often raises your metabolism.
- Treat yourself in small portions. Order a small order of french fries instead of a medium or 1 scoop of ice cream instead of 2. You gain the most satisfaction from the first few bites of any given food. Use it to your advantage. By the time you get to that 2nd scoop of ice cream it does not taste as good as the first so forget about it!.
- Keep a food and exercise journal. Lucky for us everything is digital now. Writing down what you eat AND DRINK(see tip #1) lets you see how many calories you are consuming and if your meals are balanced.
- Give up 1 bad thing per week and let the contraband list grow instead of going cold turkey. In high school a teacher challenged(for extra credit) us to give up 1 kind of junk food each week until it was completely eliminated from our diets. That approach is much easier than giving up everything at once. Once it is all gone you can treat yourslf with small portions(see #5).
- Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Smartones- great low calorie meal options. These are my favorite weight loss secret. The are portion controlled. You know exactly what is in them. They taste great. Beware of a high sodium content if you have high blood pressure. The come in breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert!
- Only eat out when you have to. When you are home and feel like eating out go to the grocery store instead of to a restaurant. You can either get a prepared meal out of the freezer section or get a plate from the in-store buffett, if one exists.